Hillary Adams, who videotaped her father beating her in 2004 and released it to the world last week because she believes he should not be serving as a judge in Texas, said this morning that such punishments happened regularly and that she believes her father “needs help and rehabilitation.”
For his part, Judge William Adams says that “in my mind I haven’t done anything wrong. … She wasn’t hurt, it was a long time ago” and she was just “being disciplined.”
The video, which has been viewed nearly 2 million times since now-23-year-old Hillary Adams put it on YouTube last week, will be difficult for many to watch. William Adams, angry about his then-teenage daughter’s downloading of files from the Internet, uses a belt to beat her legs and backside. He shouts and swears. Hillary screams and cries. So we caution those who might not want to see it to think first before clicking on this link.
On NBC-TV’s The Today Show this morning, Hillary and her mother Holly (who took part in the beating but has since divorced her husband and says she was “brainwashed and controlled” by him during their marriage) talked about what life was like with the judge and why Hillary waited until now to post the video:
– “It did happen regularly,” Hillary said of being beaten. And on the day when she set up the video camera, “I could tell … that things were escalating again.”
– “I waited 7 years because back then I was still a minor and living under his roof,” Hillary said.
– And this year, she added, “I told him I had the video and he didn’t seem to think anything of it and basically dared me to post it.”
– Hillary forgives her mother, who “hasn’t stopped apologizing.”
– Holly Adams said her former husband was addicted to violence.
William Adams, an Aransas County (Texas) Court-at-Law judge, is now “the subject of a police investigation,” The Associated Press reports. He offered his defense of his actions during a short interview with Corpus Christi TV station KZTV. At one point he says the beating “looks worse than it is.”