Authorities have identified 24-year-old James Holmes as the suspect in the mass shooting at a movie theater in Aurora, Colo.
According to witnesses, the gunman showed up at a midnight screening of the new Batman movie The Dark Knight Rises and opened fire. Quoting a federal law enforcement official, the AP reports the gunman had an assault rifle, a shotgun and two pistols.”
There are still many questions surrounding the shooting and the alleged shooter. But we’re beginning to fill in a sketch of Holmes.
Here’s what we know so far:
– The Denver Post has perhaps the best profile of Holmes. It reports that in an apartment rental application last year, Holmes said he was a student who was “quiet and easy going.” Other tenants told the paper that Holmes was a “recluse.”
– The Associated Press reports that Holmes dropped out of the University of Colorado School of Medicine in Denver last month.
Spokeswoman Jaque Montgomery said “she did not know when he started school or why he withdrew.”
– The Post says the building in which Holmes lived was reserved for medical students. The paper adds:
“A pharmacy student who also lives in the building told The Post he called 911 around 12:30 a.m. because there was a song blaring from the stereo inside apartment 10, where Holmes lived. The student, who wanted to be identified only as Ben, said he couldn’t make out the song but that it seemed to be the same one playing on repeat.
“He also said Holmes kept to himself and wouldn’t acknowledge people when they passed in the hall and said hello.
“‘No one knew him. No one,’ Ben said.”
– After a first look at public records, NPR’s Margot Williams reports that there doesn’t appear to be any prior cases against Holmes.
– CBS News, quoting a federal official, says that Holmes “appears to have been “under the radar.”
We’ll add to this post as more information becomes available.