Re-trial Date Set for Charles Wilhite

A date for a re-trail was set today (Wednesday) for a Springfield man convicted of murder. Charles Wilhite was convicted nearly two years ago in the 2008 shooting death of a Springfield man in the city’s Six Corners neighborhood. 

Wilhite’s new trial is set to begin January 7th, 2013, and the Hampden County District Attorney’s office has assigned assistant DA Blake Rubin to prosecute Wilhite. Members of the group Justice for Charles, who are advocating for Wilhite’s release, held a vigil before the scheduled hearing. Wilhite’s Aunt, Vira Cage, says she has been frustrated by the slow process of re-trying Wilhite, who she believes is innocent.

“It’s definitely justice delayed, and justice denied, according to our perspective… He’s been locked up since he got arrested September 17th, 2009.”

Wilhite was granted a new trial in May after two primary witnesses recanted their original testimony against him. William O’neill is Wilhite’s attorney. 

“I think the government’s case is significantly weaker than what it was during the first trial,” he says. “So, I think there is a good chance that he could be acquitted in this case.”

Prosecutors have previously said they have other witnesses who will testify that Wilhite is guilty.