Throughout the day, we’ll be updating with the latest news about the two explosions Monday near the finish line of the Boston Marathon. The blasts killed at least three people — one of them an 8-year-old boy — and injured some 170. We’ll also be publishing related posts as the day continues.
On the morning after explosions ripped through an area packed with runners, spectators, race officials, medical personnel and others at the finish line of the Boston Marathon, the FBI is heading up the investigation into who was responsible.
The Associated Press reports that the FBI “has served a search warrant on a home in suburban Boston in the investigation into the Boston Marathon bombing attack. Massachusetts State Police confirm that a search warrant related to the investigation was served Monday night in Revere, but they haven’t said anything else. Some investigators were seen leaving the house early this morning, carrying brown paper bags, plastic trash bags and a duffel bag.”
NPR’s Dina Temple-Raston reports for Morning Edition that investigators are being very cautious about what they reveal and are cautioning that it may be some time before they can say with any certainty who they think was behind the attack. As she’s previously reported, they don’t want a repeat of what happened after the bombing at the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta, when security guard Richard Jewell was mistakenly blamed. It took years for investigators to determine that the real bomber was Eric Rudolph, an anti-government, anti-abortion serial bomber.
Along with identifying who was responsible, authorities will also be pushing to determine whether the attacks were foreign- or domestic-related.
The investigation will be aided by the hundreds, if not thousands, of potential witnesses and the large number of videos that were being shot, by professionals and spectators, at the time of the explosions. But the scene is also extremely complicated. Abandoned backpacks and other gear left behind by runners and spectators litter the area. Those have to be searched not only for clues, but for explosives.
As of early Tuesday, authorities said they had not yet taken anyone into custody either as a “person of interest” or a suspect.
Among the other early Tuesday reports:
– The 8-year-old victim was from nearby Dorchester, Mass., according to the Boston Globe.
– One person could “easily” have been behind the attacks, retired FBI bomb technician Kevin G. Miles tells the Boston Herald.
– Boston police plan a 9:30 a.m. ET news conference.
Our colleagues at WBUR have also resumed their live blogging this morning. They report that “overnight the number of injured rose. At last count, at least 151 are being treated at nearly a dozen hospitals around Boston.”
As happens when stories such as this are developing, there will likely be reports that turn out to be mistaken. Monday, for example, authorities at one point said they thought there had also been an explosion at the JFK Library in Boston. But it turned out there had been a fire, not an explosion, and there’s no known link at this time to the marathon attacks.
We will focus on news being reported by NPR, other news outlets with expertise and statements from authorities in position to know what’s going on. And if some of that information turns out to be wrong, we’ll update.