No Specific Threats, But Officials Say 2014 Boston Marathon ‘As Safe As Can Be Prepared For’

Spectators attending this year’s Boston Marathon with backpacks, coolers and other large items will have them subject to search. Officials on Monday outlined the security plan ahead of the April 21st marathon, the first since last year’s deadly attack.

Kieran Ramsey with the Federal Bureau of Investigation says this is not in response to any specific threat.

“Certainly the communication here has been second to none to ensure that all of us are talking about the possibility of any threat coming up. But at this point we don’t have one, nor do we anticipate one,” Ramsey says. “[If] you look at the preparations we’ve made, and this is about as safe an event as can be prepared for.”

At least 3,500 police officers will be spread across the eight cities and towns that make up the marathon route. That’s more than double the number from last year.

“Those officers will be looking for concerning and suspicious behavior. If they see things that they are concerned about or they think might unnecessarily might raise tensions, they will step in and encourage people to refrain from certain activities,” says Kurt Schwartz, head of the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency.

Last year, three people were killed and more than 260 injured after two bombs exploded near the finish line of the race.

The Associated Press and WBUR Boston contributed to this report.