Sarno Responds To Federal Subpoena Reports

Springfield Mayor Domenic Sarno says the city is fully cooperating with a federal investigation. These were Sarno’s first public comments since new broke this week that Springfield was served with a subpoena for contracts with an Agawam construction company.

Sarno re-affirmed a statement he issued through his spokesperson earlier this week: he does not tolerate violations of public trust in City Hall. And, he says, his administration has nothing to hide.

“If anything comes to light on this, again, we’re fully cooperative on this issue,” says Sarno. “There is a process, and we’ll have to see where this takes us, but we want to make sure that things will continue to be done right, which they have under my administration.”

At issue are city contracts with the Zielinski Brothers construction company, which totaled $4.6 million , dating back to 2009. Sarno says an internal review of city contracts with the company is ongoing, and Springfield’s attorney says sent copies of the requested contracts to federal authorities.

A lawyer for the Zielinski Brothers said Friday that since this is an ongoing investigation, the company has no comment at this time.

Updated at 4:50 p.m. with comment from attorney.