What made The Short List this week?
- The Massachusetts legislature overwhelmingly passed a bill giving themselves, judges and other state workers, including the governor, a big hike in pay. Governor Baker opposes the measure, but lawmakers are likely to override his veto.
- President Trump, as he said he would, has signed an executive order instructing federal agencies to cut grants for so-called “sanctuary cities.”Cambridge, Somerville, Boston, Northampton, Holyoke and Amherst are among those included.
- A rally this week outside of Senators Elizabeth Warren and Ed Markey’s Springfield offices was held to encourage them to resist approving Trump’s nominees. And then the next day, Warren voted for Ben Carson to lead the Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- Ron Chimelis, Springfield Republican
- Natalia Muñoz, WHMP’s Vaya Con Muñoz